This position is for a Lead Optical Mechanical Engineer to work
within the Raytheon Technologies Intelligence and Space (RI&S)
Business Unit in El Segundo, CA.
The person hired for this position will interface with the
program stakeholders and will work alongside a talented team
towards the development of new state-of-the-art systems for space
applications that meet our customers descriptions and
The ideal candidate will have full life-cycle experience in
space electro-optic (EO) sensors from the pre-proposal phase
through conceptual design, preliminary and critical design, build,
test and delivery. Duties include leading a cross-functional
engineering and analysis team from a strong technical background
that may involve material selection, optical layout, thermal
management, precision mechanical mounting and motion, and
structural optimization while balancing cost and schedule
constraints. The engineer is responsible for understanding design
requirements, coordinating the EO sensor design, and preparing
The Lead Optical Mechanical Engineer will also be responsible
for contributing to program technical reviews such as the SRR, PDR,
CDR, TRR, MRR, CTI, and CTS presentations and will be the EO sensor
technical lead on new business pursuits and proposals. The
responsible engineer will contribute technical information to
present to internal line management, technical staff, program
management, and customer and their consultants. You may be involved
with "selling" new concepts to highly-experienced individuals
including plans to mitigate any identified technical risks.
* At least 10 years of professional experience in EO sensor
* Lead and own the EO sensor modeling, design, documentation,
and implementation of EO hardware.
* Actively work with Program Management, Systems Engineering,
and Customers to develop and manage objectives and requirements for
related pursuits and projects.
* Lead an EO sensor Engineering Team to successfully design and
document solutions to meet program objectives and requirements.
* Lead in the management of subcontractors required for the
development of EO related equipment.
* Comply with Export/Import (EX/IM) regulations and policies and
support Jurisdiction Classification Assessments (JCAs) as
* Ensure the consistent application of engineering best practice
and that all activities undertaken under your control are conducted
to common standards in accordance with Raytheon Intelligence &
* Hands on experience in Electro-optical sensor design, build
* Hands on experience with industry standard CAD software such
* Hands on experience with Geometric Tolerancing (GD&T).
* Project leadership experience.
* Strong customer presentation skills.
* Maintain positive customer and supplier relationships.
* US Citizenship is required as this position will need a U.S.
DOD security clearance within 1 year of employment.
* Experience with space intent EO design.
* Experience utilizing Matlab and CREO.
* Experience with Optical Design & Analysis software.
* Experience with Microsoft Project.
* Prior experience in DoD or Aerospace.
* Possess a SSBI security clearance.
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related EO discipline.
Advanced degree in EO related field.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, or protected Veteran status.