Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist - Full Time with Benefits - Variable Shift - Los Angeles Only
Location: Huntington Park
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Under indirect, or direct supervision and based on the
understanding of patient variables such as age, sex, and other
physical characteristics: monitors or manages the medication
therapy of hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned; confers
with and assists medical personnel in the care and treatment of
these patients; provides medication information and pharmacokinetic
dosing advice; adjust doses, orders laboratory tests, and
administers medications according to established policies &
procedures; monitors medication distribution; dispenses, compounds,
and distributes pharmacy products. Provides direction to ancillary
pharmacy staff. Performs other duties as required.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Performs sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- In collaboration with the health care team, develops and
implements patient-specific plans to optimize medication
- Monitors the medication therapy to assure optimum therapeutic
- Manage and optimize medication therapy based on interpretation
of data, assessments, and evaluations of patient outcomes.
- Follows hospital approved collaborative, pharmacokinetic drug
therapy management protocols (e.g., adjust drug doses, order
laboratory tests, assess therapeutic effectiveness etc.).
- Interviews patients and family members or other designated care
givers to obtain information regarding medication use, medication
allergies and sensitivities. Utilizes that information, as well as
pertinent information from other data sources, into the patients
medication management plan.
- Documents the information appropriately in the patients medical
record or other computer systems.
- Advises patients and designated family members or other
designated care givers regarding medication, directions for use,
storage requirements, medication coordination with diet, importance
of compliance, precautions and warnings for medication
- Advises the patient and designated family members or other
designated care givers on the use of medication related
- Provides pharmacokinetic dosing advice to medical
- Orders and adjusts medication dosages, orders laboratory tests,
and administers medication under protocol according to established
policies and procedures.
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of the hospital
medication distribution system.
- Reviews all medication orders for appropriateness and adherence
to the drug formulary.
- Clarifies orders and intervenes when necessary.
- Verifies accuracy of medication preparation and dispensing by
- Provides medical personnel with medication information.
- Identifies potential medication safety issues and works
actively to prevent medication errors.
- Reviews patient medical records to detect adverse drug events,
and assists medical personnel to form treatment plans in response
to adverse drug events.
- Evaluates adverse drug events to determine their severity,
probability, and preventability for further analysis and
- Reviews patients medical record to verify proper delivery and
correct administration of medication.
- Ensures appropriate medication storage and security.
- Participates in investigational drug studies as required.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution. Consults
with supervisors when appropriate.
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Management Partnership
- Reports discrepancies to appropriate medical and/or
- Develops and tests requirements and specifications for
protocols, computer programs, pharmacokinetic dosing and other
pharmaceutical care applications.
- Participates in assigned education and training programs.
- Develops and maintains teaching curriculum and conducts
educational programs for pharmacy, other medical personnel, and
- Actively participates in rounds, hospital committees,
utilization review, quality management programs and other programs
- Participates actively as a member of the interdisciplinary team
during medical emergencies (e.g. Code Blue).
- Performs other duties as required. Basic Qualifications:
- Possesses a minimum of 1500 hours of inpatient pharmacy
experience within the last 3 years (e.g., intern pharmacist,
pharmacist) or successful completion of an ASHP accredited clinical
pharmacy practice residency within the last 5 years prior to start
- Degree in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited (or ACPE candidate
status) School of Pharmacy
License, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System
Registration required at hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient variables such as age, sex,
and other physical characteristics/presentation and disease states
as they relate to medication therapy.
- Comprehensive knowledge of acute care medications.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of current
pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology,
pathologies and disease states, and the ability to relate this
information to the patients medical management plan.
- Demonstrated work experience performing aseptic technique and
the ability to prepare sterile IV products and chemotherapeutic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations regarding
the provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Demonstrated ability to extract pertinent information from the
patient, or other sources, and relate it to the patients medical
- Experience operating pharmacy computer system(s) and other
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency medications.
- Doctorate of Pharmacy, Pharm.D.
Job Category: Pharmacy
Keywords: Kaiser, Huntington Park , Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist - Full Time with Benefits - Variable Shift - Los Angeles Only, Healthcare , Huntington Park, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...